羽之助の帝紀

Sunday, July 03, 2005

バカな客(第三話)+ Throw Away the Aborted Child

This is for you, Chris. Another one today.

拙者:Would you like anything to drink before you decide?
太男:What beer do you have on tap?
拙者:Nothing. All we have is canned or bottled.
太男:What do you have that's draft?
拙者:Nothing.
太男 (thinks):Give me a list of all your German and Dutch beers.
拙者:We don't have any.
太男:Huh?
拙者:We have Japanese beer.
太男 (blank stare): ... I'll have a Perrier.

The following is a list of things I would like to impart to anyone going to a restaurant:

1. Read the menu.
2. Realize that "ethnic" (if that is even the right word) restaurants are only obligated to supply that specific food. For example, an Italian restaurant is not obligated to carry Greek beer or foodstuffs. If it did, it would be a Greek restaurant. Similarily, my Japanese restaurant does not have Chinese or German or Mexican beer, although the manager has some jasmine tea in the pantry because she likes it. If you want to eat Japanese food as your main course and drink German beer and snack on Thai spring rolls as an appetizer, go to some place with "international" or "worldwide" in the title.

*********************************

Since anyone who wants to enter Japanese university has to pass the 外国人留学生大学院入試, I've decided to start studying my Japanese again instead of operating through osmosis at the restaurant. Gotta get my Level One of the 日本語能力試験 first though. I still have the book I used to pass level 2, so I'm using the level 1 section of it. Came across a really funny character though. I learned the word 廃棄, which means rejection or denunciation. I didn't know either character, so as usual I looked up the 解字 or how-to-understand-the-character guide. This is what I found for :

会意。「子の逆形→生まれたばかりの赤子+ごみとり+両手」で、赤子をごみとりにのせてすてるさまをあらわす。
In English, that is:
Ideograph. "Upside-down child" or newborn babe + forceps + both hands. Use forceps strongly with both hands to remove the baby and throw it away.
Basically, the 棄 character, which by itself is すてる and means "to discard", is an ideograph of an abortion.