羽之助の帝紀

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Censorship

Not that I don't have confidence of Japanese people to read English, but this post is not going to have a Japanese translation. Even so, I'm choosing my words carefully and trying to be as obtuse as possible.

A while ago, I wrote an article about one of my days, where I met some people. I wrote about how they do not have citizenship of a certain country. I then wrote something about pieces of paper you need to enter a country and how they have time limits. Then I wrote about the need to teach a certain language to these people because until now they have not spoken the language of certain country until now.

Today, I was told by my supervisor to edit that part of the article. Word had gotten around. People were talking.

I agreed, thinking I had violated student-teacher confidentiality and individual privacy. So I got rid of the section about pieces of paper and time limits, added more praise words to those teaching a certain language, and showed the new paragraph to my supervisor.

No good.

Why?

Because I had mentioned their nationality.

I need opinions, please.

If, say, in your home country of Canada, the States, or Britain or Australia or wherever, you write that a Spanish child is enrolled and requires ESL classes, is that a violation of privacy and work confidentiality because you mentioned the student's nationality?

The original paragraph has been deleted and I'm not telling you what article it was in. Yes, I do have an archived copy of the original.

I thought I was helping Japan progress by showing off a place where students of different nationalities all study together at a typical Japanese school, showing how everything is all nice and happy. Or, should I restore the paragraph and just remove their specific nationalities and replace it with "various nationalities"?

7 Comments 論評:

  • it's called DO NOT translate and change the address of your blog cause anybody can run it by the online translators.
    Mind you this is the "wired", the internet where any information becomes public plus that info that you probably gave "away" can be found in the Japanese trade and nationalization office website anyway...SO screw them. you have the right of freedom of speech.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/17/2005 4:29 AM  

  • Remember what Debito's signs say:
    "Japanese people only others are not welcome"
    So, u will be a target of other a**holes for now.
    white calls attention...etc... F' em then.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/17/2005 4:36 AM  

  • Possibly change your blog address, and send out to friends by e-mail.

    I would suggest you mention them as merely foreigners. That's what we get called anyhow.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/17/2005 1:12 PM  

  • アレックスに聞いたよ。パット、よく考えて。君が日本にいられるのはJETのおかげだし、日本にいる限り、日本のボスに従うべきだよ。そうしないと、きっとカナダに戻されるよ。ほら、よくブログに企業秘密なんかを書いて首になる人はアメリカやカナダでもいるじゃない。パットのスーパーバイザーが変えて欲しいと言ったら、スーパーバイザーが言う通りに変更するべきだと思う。国籍を書いたのがいけないんだったら、国籍は書かない方がいいでしょう。面倒くさいからその記事だけ、削除してしまったら?「斉●カ●ダ」で日本人の下で働く心得はさんざん勉強したでしょう。忘れたの?

    君のこのブログのアドレスをオフィスの人に知られているんだったら、別に作ったら?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/18/2005 3:52 AM  

  • Well, I'm not really in super trouble. It was a kind mention by my supervisor who is very good at his job and busy (like they all are). But if they became super pushy and tried to control all the content on MY personal blog, then goodbye, I'm moving to China where they censor you just for the fun of it.

    By Blogger 羽之助, at 11/18/2005 5:57 PM  

  • Hey Pat North Korea would be a lot better then that way you won't only be censored for what you do or type but you will also be tortured, killed and shown off in international TV. Other than a crazy dictator and wacked out kimchi dishes.....Racism would be at its max too

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/18/2005 10:15 PM  

  • Actually I would only go to China to piss everyone in Japan off.

    By Blogger 羽之助, at 11/18/2005 10:30 PM  

Post a Comment 論評を書いておく

<< Home