羽之助の帝紀

Friday, May 20, 2005

日本にいるの最後の日

Well, it's the morning of our last day in Japan. I'm here at the net cafe near the Nagoya Youth Hostel where it all started two weeks ago. Two whole weeks gone by ... it seems like it went in a flash. As usual, I don't want to go back, but considering I have a job waiting for me here in two months, and I don't have a visa until said employment begins, I suppose I can endure the Canadian summer while I await my return to Dai Nippon.

Today's plan is to try and get souvenirs for the last of the people who requested them, although some have been slightly difficult to find. I'm meeting one of my friends at Kanayama, then going to the airport to meet up with Chris and Marc for 3. Should be OK, then. I have plenty of manga and a novel to read on the plane, with the help of my dictionary.

I met two elderly Australian women yesterday who got to the hostel with the help of a Japanese-speaking American (?) woman, who they had by chance met on the road. After she left, I took over and made sure they got some food. We went (with another American woman who had just gotten back from Central America and is in Japan to visit her friend Mike - what is with these people who arrive in a country without knowing a word of the language and expect to get around fine?) to a ramen shop, and I must admit that I ordered too much, but it will be my last bowl for quite some time. I then went with the American - Allison, I think her name was - to this very net cafe, then went to Sakae to walk around for an hour. We also by chance met up with the Tall Englishman, whose name I have forgotten but is very nice and also over two metres tall, which elicited comments of デカイ!! from passing pedestrians.

Our flight leaves at 6 and I don't particularly want to be on it, but perhaps I can get back to the Falls a bit earlier, resume my normal sleep pattern, and get back to work at Suisha ...