羽之助の帝紀

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

僕の沙織に会いました

Today we went to Seto to see the elementary school that I volunteered at two years ago. We brought some souvenirs, especially a stupid hat (like the ones that we wear on Canada Day) for the principal. He really liked it. I also gave him a Canadian flag and handed out stickers to the kids. The high point of the day was when I met Saori, who is now in the fourth grade. When I met her when she was in second grade, she pretty much attached herself to me and I showered her with attention, of course. So, when I met her today ...

"Hey ... were you here two years ago?"
"Yeah. I volunteered here."
(BEAM) "I KNEW IT! IT'S YOU! IT'S PATRICK!"
At this point she grabbed my arm and wrapped it around her, and promptly knelt down to give her a hug. In response to this, I proudly picked her up and held my wonderful Saori. Oh sure, the guys make fun of me, but I absolutely loved this girl from the day I met her. With the Suzukis and everyone it feels like I've been away from Japan for only a week or two, but with Saori, it felt like I had been away for a hundred years. I can't wait to come back to Japan in August for the express purpose of visiting her and the other students at Shinanodai. I told her that I'd be back in three months, and that I would come just for her. I want to give her special stuff from Canada like tons of chocolate but hey, that would be unfair to the other students.

We also went to the bank today, and oh how I loathe Japanese banks. The Bank of Nagoya, despite its big sign saying FOREIGN EXCHANGE, were utterly bewildered when we asked to change over Canadian-dollar traveller's cheques into yen. And the JR office lady told me that my pass was only good for trains and highway buses, not city buses. Which, since I carefully read the English and Japanese instructions, is utterly incorrect. Still a long way to go ...

We go back to Nagoya now and meet Chris' cousins. Then, tomorrow it's off to Kyoto.